June 15, 2011 4:10 pm
by Eric Stoller
Mamta Accapadi, Dean of Students at Oregon State University, joined Eric to chat about her career journey and her upcoming 111 voyage with Semester At Sea (SAS). Mamta shared some amazing thoughts about what it means to be a Dean of Students and how her social justice identity will frame her practice while during her SAS adventure. Mamta’s leadership is inspiring and she is truly a role model for student affairs practitioners.
Eric will be attending the National Conference on Student Recruitment, Marketing, and Retention in Denver in July. The event will feature a wide variety of sessions for higher education professionals.
Follow Eric and Seth on the road as they take their shows/tweets all over the US and Canada this year.
Challenge and Support – the weekly news
- #satechBOS Unconference – the first ever student affairs technology unconference. It’s free, it’s in Boston, it’s in July, and you need to be there!
- Sex, Booze and Dorms – Catholic University President John Garvey makes Eric shake his head…
- N.J. Student Aid Bid Rejected Due to Mom’s Immigration Status – What the heck? A legal citizen of the United States is denied financial aid because her parents are not residents. Does. Not. Compute!
- Social Media in the Job Search: LinkedIn, Twitter Outpace Facebook as Tools – Career services folks need to teach their students how to use social media as a tool in their job search.
- One-third of U. of Ark freshmen from outside state – Is this important? Mamta shares some awesome commentary about how this is just the start of a much larger cultural shift in higher education.
- #NASPAtech: Student Affairs Technology Conference – This is the first ever NASPA-hosted student affairs technology conference. So many amazing events to attend this year!
Unsolicited Shout-out of the Week
The NASPA Women in Student Affairs Knowledge Community – amazing leaders with an amazing blog!